Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp
Foundation of Public Utility

Using mobile phones to ensure that referred tuberculosis patients reach their treatment facilities: a call that makes a difference

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Choun, K. en_US
dc.contributor.author Achanta, S. en_US
dc.contributor.author Naik, B. en_US
dc.contributor.author Tripathy, J. P. en_US
dc.contributor.author Thai, S. en_US
dc.contributor.author Lorent, N. en_US
dc.contributor.author Khun, K. E. en_US
dc.contributor.author Van Griensven, J. en_US
dc.contributor.author Kumar, A. M. V. en_US
dc.contributor.author Zachariah, R. en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2017-12-18T12:55:36Z
dc.date.available 2017-12-18T12:55:36Z
dc.date.issued 2017 en_US
dc.identifier.issn 1472-6963 en_US
dc.identifier.doi http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2511-x en_US
dc.identifier.other http://lib.itg.be/pdf/itg/2017/2017bhsr0575.pdf en_US
dc.identifier.other 7 pp. en_US
dc.identifier.other ITG-C6A; ITG-C6A; DCS; U-HIVNTD; JIF; OAJ; DOI; PDF; PMC; Abstract; DSPACE64 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10390/9470
dc.description.abstract BACKGROUND: Over the last decade, the availability and use of mobile phones have grown exponentially globally and in Cambodia. In the Sihanouk Hospital Centre of Hope (SHCH) in Cambodia about half of all tuberculosis patients referred out to peripheral health facilities for TB treatment initiation or continuation were lost to contact after referral ranging from 19 to 69% between 2008 and 2013. To address this, we implemented a mobile phone-based patient tracking intervention. Here, we report the number and proportion of referred TB patients who could be contacted through a mobile phone and retained in care after the introduction of mobile phone tracking. METHODS: A descriptive study involving follow-up of TB patients referred out from SHCH to peripheral health facilities during May-October 2014. Standard operating procedures were used to contact individual patients and/or health facilities using a mobile phone. RESULTS: Among 109 TB patients referred to peripheral health facilities, 107(98%) had access to a mobile phone of whom, 103(97%) could be contacted directly while 5(2%) were contacted through their health care providers. A total of 108(99%) of 109 referred TB patients in intervention period were thus placed on TB treatment. CONCLUSIONS: This study provides preliminary, but promising evidence that using mobile phones was accompanied with improved retention of referred TB patients compared to historical cohorts. Given the limitations associated with historical controls, we need better designed studies with larger sample size to strengthen the evidence before national scale-up. en_US
dc.language English en_US
dc.relation.uri http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28830542 en_US
dc.title Using mobile phones to ensure that referred tuberculosis patients reach their treatment facilities: a call that makes a difference en_US
dc.type Article-E en_US
dc.citation.issue 1 en_US
dc.citation.jtitle BMC Health Services Research en_US
dc.citation.volume 17 en_US
dc.citation.pages 575 en_US
dc.citation.abbreviation BMC Health Serv Res en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record